For those of you who are new to this blog, a quick bit of background. Earlier this summer, I was working on a project, and I was not using proper technique. To be more specific, I was hunched over in a very bad position while operating a palm sander and threw my back out. Needless to say, I didn’t do much more that day, or the rest of that week.
Ever since then, I haven’t touched the table I was working on. For a while, it was because I couldn’t physically do it. Later, I’ll be honest, I was a bit scared. I’m not a superstitious person, but I do believe in unfortunate coincidences, so I did have this idea in the back of my head that I would injure myself again. But I got two consecutive days off of work and talked my self into getting this thing done.
This time around I was supersafe. I wore goggles, earplugs and a mask. Well, the mask was because I already was dealing with a cold and allergies and didn’t want sawdust making it worse. I sanded — a lot. I figured if I’m going to do it, I’ll do it right. After sanding, I did two different staining treatments. On the chairs, I just did two coats of the tinted stain. But ever since we got this table, I’ve had the idea of ombre stuck in my head. So I did one light coat of stain, and two heavier coats on the legs, each one set a bit lower than the last. Finished off with a few good coats of sealer, and this is ready for play!
I was pretty happy with the results, but the best review was my little lady waking up from her nap and getting right to coloring at her new table. Totally worth it. And even better, my back is still intact.